Monday, August 22, 2011

Book Review: Trial by Fire

Title: Trial by Fire by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pages: 357 pages
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: 5 stars
Source: Library

Spoiler Warning! This summary and review contain spoilers to Raised by Wolves, the first book in the series.
Goodreads Summary: There can only be one alpha. Bryn is finally settling into her position as alpha of the Cedar Ridge Pack—or at least, her own version of what it means to be alpha when you’re a human leading a band of werewolves. Then she finds a teenage boy bleeding on her front porch. Before collapsing, he tells her his name is Lucas, he’s a Were, and Bryn’s protection is his only hope.

But Lucas isn’t part of Bryn’s pack, and she has no right to claim another alpha’s Were. With threats—old and new—looming, and danger closing in from all sides, Bryn will have to accept what her guardian Callum knew all along. To be alpha, she will have to give in to her own animal instincts and become less human. And, she’s going to have to do it alone.

Bryn faces both the costs, and the rewards, of love and loyalty, in this thrilling sequel to Raised by Wolves.
I was not a huge fan of the first book in this series, Raised by Wolves, you can find my review here. As my issues were with the story and not the writing (Barnes is a pretty good writer), I decided to read the sequel, Trial By Fire, because I was curious to see where the author was taking the story. I was completely unprepared for how sucked in I would get by this story!

Trial by Fire starts approximately nine months after the events at the end of Raised by Wolves. As Alpha of the young Cedar Ridge Pack, Bryn is determined to lead with love and respect instead of fear and intimidation. Bryn is happy, her weres are happy and the special connection that she has with Chase is stronger than ever. It is in this season of contentment that the trouble starts and when trouble comes for Bryn, it hits like a hurricane! Trial by Fire introduces Bryn to new situations, new conflicts (both internal and external) and new characters with new powers.

Speaking of characters, Bryn’s character is a lot more mature in Trial by Fire. She is no longer the girl who gets into trouble just to upset Callum. Bryn is now her own Alpha who puts the safety and security of her pack before everything else. Chase’s character is also more developed and I am glad we get to know him better and learn why he is the strong silent type. I didn’t think it possible, but I love Devon, Lake and Ali even more than I did in the first book. These characters are so well written!

Trial by Fire is wonderfully complex with great plot twists, a few I saw coming and most that took me completely by surprise. This is an awesome story that moves at a fast, steady and exciting pace. I read this book on the edge of my seat and cannot wait for the next in the series. I will admit that I have not read many werewolf books, but this is easily my favorite one.

Content: Kissing and violence.

5 comments:

Nerissa said...

Great Review! I've seen a couple of reviews of this book and I really wanted to read it. I'm definitely going to check out the first book in the series now.

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one better than the first.

martha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy @ TheReaderBee said...

I've really been wanting to read this series for a while now! Glad to hear this book is better than the first. I look forward to checking them out! Great review!

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I'm conflicted! I passed on the first book, but if it gets better...maybe I'll have to check them out, after all. Good review!

(Found you through Rabid Reads. New follower!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...