Monday, April 16, 2012

Book Review: The Accidental Bride

Release Date: Jan. 3, 2012
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Pages: 304 pages
Genre: Christian Fiction
Goodreads Summary: Two high-school sweethearts, a wedding reenactment, and one absent-minded preacher. Is it a recipe for disaster or a chance for a new beginning?

Shay Brandenberger is a survivor. She's lived through a crazy childhood, a failed marriage, and single parenthood-with her confidence intact.

 But not for long. Because when Shay participates in her town's Founder's Day wedding reenactment, she finds herself face-to-face with the one man who takes her breath away and leaves her weak in the knees: Travis McCoy.

Travis is back in town after years way on the rodeo circuit. His one regret in life is breaking Shay's heart when they were high-school sweethearts. He's determined to get it right this time.

So when their Founder's Day "marriage" is accidentally made official, Travis seizes the day. Can Shay put aside her pride to let Travis help her, or will their accidental marriage be dissolved before it can begin?

As much as I like Christian fiction, cowboy stories are not my thing so reading The Accidental Bride was stepping way out of my comfort zone. Apparently, I need to go out there more often because this book was really good!

The novel is set in breathtaking Montana and Denise Hunter does a great job of taking you to the beautiful, wide open spaces in the book. While it’s hard to imagine how a couple could accidentally get married, this is fiction, I went with it and it worked. 

There is a lot of really good tension between our main characters Shay and Travis. Shay suffered horrible heartbreak and humiliation after Travis left her at the altar and more humiliation after the man she ended marrying (on the rebound) leaves her as well. As a character, Shay is very likable. She is a woman who is struggling financially and emotionally but strives to make a good life for her daughter and herself. Travis, on the other hand, had nothing but success since leaving Shay and even though she is ridiculously tough on him when he comes back into her life, it’s hard to feel sorry for him. I did end up liking Travis a lot and rooting for these characters to be together.

The Accidental Bride is a sweet, contemporary romance about second chances and forgiveness. The novel is the second in the Big Sky Romance series but I read it as a stand alone and it worked just fine. I recommend this one to anyone who likes a really good love story.

Content: Kissing and implied sex.

My Rating: Really Good!

4 comments:

Gabi said...

This is actually one I've been thinking about reading. I've never really tried Christian fiction before, but I think I'll give this one a shot! Thanks for the review. :]

alreem @ (AlreemBookChapters) said...

pretty cover, this book sound good I will check it out soon , Great review :)

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Oh this sounds super cute. I'm adding this to my list for sure. The title definitely intrigues me and the fact that you stepped out of your comfort zone and enjoyed it makes it even more exciting.

Katie said...

There's implied sex in a Christian book?! Whoa. I'm assuming they're married. haha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...