Friday, October 21, 2011

Book Review: The Iron Knight

Title: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa
Release Date: Oct. 25, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Pages: 386 pages
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Publisher through NetGalley
Goodreads Summary: My name—my True Name—is Ashallayn'darkmyr Tallyn. I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court. And I am dead to her. My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl…
The Iron Knight is the fourth and final book in the Iron Fey series and if you have yet to read these books, you have to get them! Ms. Kagawa’s world building is excellent, her characters endearing and unforgettable and her stories are fantastic and filled with forbidden and all consuming love.

While the first three books in the series were told from Megan’s point of view, The Iron Knight is told from Ash’s perspective and picks up shortly after the events in The Iron Queen. Megan is now queen of the Iron Realm but Ash cannot be with her there because the iron would kill. To be with the woman he loves, Ash embarks on an epic quest to abandon his life as a faerie and become mortal.

While the first three books were awesome, I am so happy that Ms. Kagawa ended the series with this book! The Iron Knight gives us so much background on Ash, we truly get to understand how he became so cold and guarded, how he became friends and then enemies with Puck and just how much he really loves Megan.

Even more profound, this book is also about being human, what it really means to love unconditionally and to give up everything, even life, for that love. It also brings to mind the fact that we are more than the choices and we have made and more than the sum of our past mistakes (yes, I just quoted a Tenth Avenue North song but it goes so well with this book, I could not get it out of my head while I was reading!). The Iron Knight is darker that previous books in the series and the Nevernever just a bit more twisted. The book also has more action, more emotion and is just an all around spectacular read.

The Iron Knight is a completely satisfying conclusion to my all time favorite fey series. While I did feel like I was saying goodbye to old friends, I am looking forward to Julie Kagawa’s new series, upcoming books, and pretty much read anything else she writes.

Content: Implied sex, kissing, mild profanity and violence.

My Rating: The Best!

3 comments:

Katie said...

I have yet to finish this one. For some reason, I'm just a little over it. :/ Ash was never my favorite character, so I think that's why I'm having a hard time with it. Now if it were told from Puck's POV, it would be a different story...lol

Truly Bookish said...

KM, I remember you saying you were Team Puck. I have always been Team Ash. Loooove him!

D Q said...

I'm looking forward to reading this. I am for sure team Ash!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...